What do you need to hook up a sub to a factory radio?
Use a Converter
You will need a line output converter if you have a factory car stereo in your car. This is because the factory head unit generally tends to have speaker wires but does not have a preamp output that can convert them into RCA signals.
How do you hook up a subwoofer to a built in amp to a factory radio?
- Step #1: Disable Battery Connection.
- Step #2: Install the Power Cable.
- Step #3: Check Cables for the Subwoofer.
- Step #4: Position Your Subwoofer.
- Step #6: Test Audio on Subwoofer.
Can you wire a sub to a standard head unit?
The only way to add a sub to a standard stereo is to add pre-outs, using something known as a “High-Level Input to Low-Level Output” converter. This wires into the speaker outputs coming out of the back of the stereo – I wire these into the rear speakers.